Should I be Taking a Probiotic?

 





For years, I have suffered with gut issues and it wasn't until I read Super Gut by Dr. William Davis, and started making my own probiotic yogurt that I finally feel normal again. Because that book transformed my health, I wanted to share with you some of the things that I did to combat the pain, discomfort and bloating that I was experiencing.

First of all, probiotics are expensive and I think I tried every brand available over the years, from the fancy refrigerated drinkable ones to the 'doctor recommended' ones for IBS. Let me say, none of them seemed to make a difference at all. What I learned from reading Dr. Davis's book and watching him on YouTube, is that although probiotics are beneficial, they aren't in the quantities that we need in order to make a difference. In order to solve that problem, he recommends using the probiotics to make yogurt or other fermented foods. 

I was so excited reading his book because everything he was saying resonated so much with me and I felt that I was finally being offered a solution that was natural and doable. I went out and bought myself an instant pot, jars and ordered the probiotics he recommended. My first batch of yogurt separated a bit but the second batch made with some of the initial yogurt, turned out beautiful, thick and delicious. I've been making this yogurt now for almost a year. Every day I eat a couple of tablespoons with some berries or honey and the change in my gut health has been amazing.

In addition to the yogurt, I've been making cultured vegetables, sauerkraut and kimchi and drinking lots of kefir and kombucha. The more I learned about cultured foods, the more excited I was about making them and encouraging my family to eat them too. They are so helpful with our immune system, mental health and gut health that I really think that everyone should be incorporating them into their daily lives.

If you're not into making your own cultured vegetables, you can find probiotic foods at your local health or grocery store. Make sure to buy pickles, sauerkraut and kimchi that is refrigerated and has a milky brine. If you can do dairy, Kefir is a delicious drink that contains lots of probiotics. You can also get non dairy kefir. As far as probiotic yogurt goes, I really think it's worth learning to make it yourself because you can add the probiotic strains that will be most beneficial to you. There are ones that help with anxiety, depression, bloating, weight loss, the list goes on. It's really fascinating how our microbiome influences our health.


Comments